Monday, May 26, 2008

The Least Yet About Reading

So, as some of you know, I have decided to quit my marginally industry job and go home, mostly so I can drink beer and watch baseball with my brother Connor while we make jokes about books that we have read and only he has understood. This, and a recent State of the State address from The Millions got me wondering about what kind of things people really want from a bookstore. There are people who come into the Borders where I work and stay for hours, and who obviously don't really care about books -- one guy came and read nothing but "How to Win at Texas Hold 'Em" for four hours -- and lots of people who like niche books, what Borders calls "destination locations", which are mainly manga and cookbooks.

I think that what I like to do most at the bookstore -- bookstores where I don't work, I mean -- is to go and read paragraphs from the middle of books that I have heard about but am not familiar with. Especially if they are supposed to be "difficult" -- I have read chunks over and over again from Finnegans Wake-- and wondered whether I could see myself reading such a thing. Usually, I decide not and don't buy anything. Because I require virtually nothing out of a bookstore, really nothing but a few books I find intriguing and difficult to pick at, I don't have a lot to say about the ambience of the bookstore. I prefer it if coffee is around, but I also think that about department stores, supermarkets, taquerias, whatever. I don't especially want any music on, though I can abide it (granted, I hate hate hate any music played at Borders in Braintree between September 2007 and June 2008). But, I am a freaking dork. Of course my ideal bookstore would shake out to be more or less identical to a costly version of the Lockport Public Library. But what about you guys? Let us know, and who knows? Maybe some marginally industry insiders will read the comments (ha!), and take your advice and revitalize the whole business. See visions, dream dreams.

No comments: